Benefits of students
Six benefits of the program:
With the rapid increase of computers, technology and video games, participating in school sport programs have become more of a past time. There is an important time and a place for computer-based entertainment, however activities in the external environment are vitally important in the development of all children.
Exactly how do children benefit from the school sports program?
When children participate in sport and outdoor activities, they not only engage in beneficial exercise, they learn the crucial life-long habits of keeping mentally and physically fit. These important life habits combined with other life skills, such as correct eating, will ensure that children are subject to the basics of living and sustaining a healthy lifestyle.
MIND + MUSCLE = MEMORY
Physical education and competitive sports are an effective way to develop a student’s problem-solving skills and creativity. They also promote team work and team building, trust in one another and your team, respect for the rules, your team mates, and the opposition. It can also lead to strong and lasting friendships.
The best activities for your children are those that encourage their natural curiosity and interests.
Many activities take place in a relaxed environment in order to promote healthy methods for dealing with stress. In an increasingly complex and pressure-oriented world, the more positive ways we can find to deal with stress the better and being able to start this at a young age is highly beneficial.
When children learn new skills and engage in social activities, their self-confidence increases. Learning social skills such as cooperation, negotiation, and conflict resolution in a fun and relaxed environment will help them understand how to communicate effectively with people- a valuable skill in all aspects of life from home life to the workplace.
Team Spirit and Camaraderie
Teamwork is a vital life skill and a key ingredient in success. Team sport requires children to work together in order to achieve a common goal, removing the focus from the individual to the team.
Having to balance multiple activities (school, homework, family life, and after-school sports activities) can teach a child the necessary skills of time management and the importance of prioritising, planning and structure. Not only is the school sports program fun and entertaining, it promotes and engages important life skills and helps teach children responsibility.
School trainees engaged in the program will have unlimited benefits. Your students have the opportunity to become a trainee in the future.
These benefits include:
• Earn while they learn
• Get nationally accredited qualifications
• Start their future career while studying
• Increase their chance to go to University
• Boost their Tertiary Selection Rank Score
• Practical hands on and work experience in their chosen career
• Improve their employment prospects upon completion of traineeship
• Gain a history of paid employment within the industry of their choice before leaving school
• Opportunity to begin a career at an early age, with a smooth transition from school to work environments
The program will be delivered by sports officer trainees.
• The trainees are completing their certificate Ill in Sport and Recreation whilst being employed in the industry for a minimum of 8 hours each week.
• The trainees are a readily available source of sporting skill and knowledge, paid for by their host employer.
• The trainees are supervised by a fully qualified trainer and assessor at all times.
• The trainees (students) are engaged in units that will prepare them to be qualified as sports and recreations officers.
• They are also undertaking the Australian Sports Commission (ASC) Levels 1 and 2 coaching Accreditation.
• A member of the Queensland Institute of Sport team will contact the school prior to the beginning of each term to confirm dates.
• This will be reaffirmed one week prior to the day with rotation of the individual activities and sessions plans for that day.
• Both supervisor and trainees will arrive at least 30 minutes prior to the commencement of activities in order to sign in with the school, conduct a risk assessment of the grounds and prepare for the activities.
• The program will be delivered one day per week over 4 terms of the school calendar year. This is approx. over 41 weeks
• The program can begin at 9.00am and conclude at 3.00pm. This can be altered to YOUR NEEDS so please feel free to keep an open mind with this suggestion!
For more information:
If you would like to organise your school’s participation in the program, please complete a School Sports Program Application Form provided for Primary Schools or High Schools and return by email firstname.lastname@example.org